A quick tutorial of this planning tool
On the navigation bar:
• Click on Change Your City to select another city you want to explore.
• Click on HOME to go back to the home page.
On the sidebar :
• Select a variable from the dropdown menu to visualise it on the map.
• A scatterplot will be generated showing the relationship between scooter ridership and the selected variable
On the map :
• Hover on a census tract on the map to see the value of the selected variable on the top right info box.
• Click on a census tract on the map to zoom.
• The table will be updated with demographic and socio-economic information of the tract selected on the map.
• The point associated with the tract selected on the map will also be highlighted in the scatterplot.
You can always use Reset Zoom button and Reset Table & Plot button to go back to the initial state.
Have fun exploring!
What is Equity Score?
Seeing scooter ridership heavily concentrated in commercial downtown areas and neighbourhoods near universities?
While this may be due, in part, to higher underlying demand in these areas, it also reflects the decisions that scooter providers make when distributing their vehicles, which might create inequitable access to scooters across cities.
We calculated an equity score to measure scooter accessibility by comparing socio-economic features between the areas with the highest and lowest predicted scooter ridership. While we calculated these scores using median household income, percent of white population, and median age, we recommend that cities using this tool tailor the equity score calculation to align with their policy priorities.
See the full report for details.